Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Student Internship Reflection - the Cape Argus - Molly Skyles

Today was my last day at the Argus. All in all, it has been a really great internship. I struggled a bit at first because I’m not usually a news reporter, but I’ve gotten the hang of things.
Through my various assignments, I’ve learned about the rinderpest cattle plague, Africa Day celebrations, HIV treatments, soup kitchens in Cape Town, the elderly population in the city and corrective rape hate crimes.
But about journalism as a whole, I’ve learned to be flexible. I won’t always get to write the fun features pieces I enjoy or get to leave every day by 3. Like with any career, journalists have to be dedicated to their profession in able to hone their craft. Over these last 5 weeks, I’ve become a more confident writer. Hell, I even had a story on the front page, and I’m quite proud.
If I were interning at a paper in the states, I would probably be stuck doing research or writing news briefs. The Argus, though, gave me an actual chance. They assigned me real stories and gave me a platform to prove myself.
We leave Africa on Wednesday, and while I hope I get to come back at point, I don’t know what the future will hold. Regardless though, this internship has taught me a lot about professional journalism — some good and some bad things. The most important thing though, the Argus has reinforced my love of writing and proven just how important it is to be able to tell the news.
After I finished my last story today and saved it in the queue for Di, the night editor, I got hugs from other interns and even a few photographers. I also have a letter of recommendation on its way from my news editor. The Argus will always stick with me. Interns come and go at the Argus, but hopefully they will think of me, “the elderly correspondent,” when someone turns 108 or the next time a shy girl from America comes in asking for a chance. I’m eternally grateful for all the people I’ve met and all the opportunities I’ve been given.
Here’s hoping my second internship of the summer at the La Plata Home Press newspaper can compare…

1 comment:

  1. Here you can sell and buy both new and used products.
    This website is perfect for selling just about anything at all.
    More at ireland free classifieds

    ReplyDelete